Expressing Kolonist’s terroir
- A 30 ha Ukrainian vineyard in the Odessa region in Bessarabie, near the Danube delta.
- Vineyard exposed to extreme temperature variations (+40°C to -20°C)
- High volume, low-quality production.
Issue to be resolved
- Request to improve production quality in order to comply with European quality standards.
- Need to control the production of a low density vineyard with very fertile soil.
- Convert from high-quantity to high-quality production
- Change the growing and maturing methods
- Develop an international image
- Training of staff to use more modern production methods
- Creation of a code of practice for higher quality production both in the vineyard and winery
- Development of a dozen products (red, white, sparkling), including some high-value products.
Indicators of success
- The property has become a leader in the Ukraine in terms of canopy management, range of wines and international reputation.
- Increased export sales (France & UK)
- Development of a premium range – €30 to €100 / bottle
- Domestic and international press recognition